The Kapi‘olani Community College STEM Summer Bridge is an intensive six-week program for recent Hawaii high school graduates interested in exploring careers in natural sciences and engineering. To help students familiarize themselves with the college environment and establish a strong foundation in math and science, students are mentored by college faculty and student peers in a supportive and engaging setting. The program runs Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with a two-hour math course, collaborative study time, and hands-on activities. The program has two tracks: HāKilo (ecology) or ‘IKE (engineering) that feature learning and work opportunities in these fields each afternoon. Over the summer, students not only learn about college, they also explore the relevance of modern science and engineering to sustainability and Hawai‘i’s past, present, and future.
In the HāKilo Summer Ecology Experience, students explore ecology through ‘āina focused activities. Projects have included biodiesel processing and ahupua‘a-level water quality assessment in urban O‘ahu and this year will focus on poi and kalo microbiology and aquaponics food systems. Students meet professionals, participate in service learning, and through direct experience, learn about careers in environmental fields from natural resource management to oceanography.
In the ‘IKE Summer Engineering Experience, students explore engineering through hands-on design projects. Projects this year will focus on aquaponics energy and pumping systems and electric guitar design and construction. Through visits to different sites, students learn about opportunities in sustainability-related engineering on O‘ahu. Students opting to continue on the Kapi‘olani CC ‘IKE pre-engineering pathway move together as a cohort in the following years to ensure successful transfer to the UHM College of Engineering. ‘IKE SEE1 is part of a 6-campus collaboration to build stronger UH system pre-engineering pathways. Participating campuses include also Windward, Leeward, Honolulu Community Colleges and UH Maui College. To view photos and videos of the Summer Bridge Programs, please see the links below:
- HāKilo 1 Summer Bridge Photos
- HāKilo 2 Summer Bridge Photos
- HāKilo Presentations Photos – The HāKilo 1 students presented on what they had learned through their geo-caching exercises. The HāKilo 2 students presented on the research they performed at Ulupo Heiau. The photos from the presentation can be viewed in the photo section of the official STEM Program website.
- ‘IKE Summer Bridge Photos
- ‘IKE Presentations Videos – During the final week of the ‘IKE Summer Bridge Program, the students gave presentations on what they had learned through the guitar building exercise. The videos can be viewed in the video section of the official STEM Program Facebook page.
- Math Emporium Photos – Photos from the math emporium, which was held every morning during the Summer Bridge Program. The math emporium included all of the students from all three of the Summer Bridges. Learn more about the math emporium model.